[ANN] SmallWiki-stable release

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Feb 18 13:31:13 CET 2006

> How to keep the "one-click" installation both for developers and users
> ?  Answer: When releasing a new SW version, we should for the moment
> update the modified package plus its dependent packages - maybe there
> is a way to automate (TODO) that through MCConfiguration but I don't
> know how to do that. For instance, a modification of SmallWiki-Kernel
> implies a dependency update of SmallWiki-Parser + SmallWiki-Stable.

Samir
the pattern is to have one package with no code and just dependent
packages.
Each time a package is modified: you version the main one and all the
dependents
will be versioned too. I would not have internal dependencies between
the packages
only between the top package and its component (this is a well-know
approach: if
you hardcode dependencies between the local package then one day you
will be blocked
because one app will be X-1.22 and the other X-.13 and in VW you
could not load them
and get stuck). Read the blog of Cess on LineUp this is exactly the
idea and we got burned
by VW package dependencies. Now we do not use them anymore.

This way you have a kind of specification of what are the packages
working together.

Stef